Why do I need a JAMMS license to play TV or radio in my business?

Television and radio stations are licensed by JAMMS to broadcast music. The license however, does not cover further public performance by those receiving the television or radio broadcast. When a TV or radio is used in a commercial establishment such as a shop, bar, restaurant, beauty salon, office or factory, the use is a separate performance and the establishment is required to obtain a JAMMS license.