I'm going to start a background music service...what do I need to do?

The first thing you need to do is to contact JAMMS and JACAP regarding acquiring the relevant licenses to publicly perform sound recordings and musical works. A licensing agreement must be worked out for the use of the collecting society’s members repertoire of sound recordings. That is JAMMS being the administrator of sound recording copyright owners repertoire will have to be approached for a license.

All services must file a Notice of Use prior to making the first ephemeral copy to avoid being subject to liability for copyright infringement. Like broadcasters, background music services must submit statements of accounts and music use to JAMMS at the designated frequency.